I don't know why I am channeling John Lennon and I am sure this is a phase that will pass but in a way I hope not. I would like to imagine here for a minute that the world is a kind place. That the whole notion that it takes less energy to smile then it does to frown would somehow translate into it takes less energy to love than it does to hate. I am not going to get all political or religious but to just really imagine this makes me feel so happy.
I actually spent some time today writing short emails to some very important people in my life to let them know just how special they are to me. I know it is sort of corny and might make people feel uncomfortable for a moment but who doesn't want to know how special they are to someone? Maybe people don't want to know? I think that random kindness is more touching then grand gestures. I know for me when my husband does the dishes for me or cleans up without being asked that I am much happier than when I get a large floral arrangement or a gift of sorts.
I was reading a posting from a blog that I follow and it upset me deeply. The blogger was addressing her 'haters'. The people that leave her rude comments and tear her down for her success. She was basically telling them to suck it and if they don't like her so much then stop reading her blog. And I thought 'good for her'. Why do people feel the need to do that? Why do we love to tear people down? Why are we fascinated with Tiger Wood's affair or famous people's divorce or drug addiction? Are we such a sinister people that as soon as someone finds success we are there waiting for them to fail.
Guess what, we all fail, every day. It is not about the failure, it is about what you do with it. I might fail because I forget to pay a parking ticket and now it is double. Someone else might fail at their marriage, someone else at their job. And when those failures occur who is there in your life to pick you up and remind you that the failure is all part of the process? Do babies not fail when they are learning to hold a Cheerio in their hand for the first time, or take the first step. Do children not fail the first time up to bat, or crack under the pressure of a test?
As adults we are so quick to judge others for success and failure instead of celebrating all of it. What would the world be like with no tabloids? What would we do if we had actual news stations that reported news instead of turning everything into a circus? What would happen if you loved someone and you ACTUALLY told them for no reason at all? Would you hide under a rock after you told someone that they were special in your life for fear that you would have to face them after being vulnerable?
I cannot change the world, I can only be the change I would like to see. I can choose to raise my son to allow himself to be vulnerable and tell people what they mean to him. I will work on not judging others-which is work because I do judge. We all judge, but really we are judging ourselves. So much valuable time and energy is wasted everyday, I would like to imagine that it can all be used to make our world, our countries, our neighborhoods, and our homes a better place. I hope to do John proud!
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment