Thursday, December 10, 2009

What?? This is the end of a decade....

....And no one is making a big deal about it! I am not sure what rock I have been living under but it is just occurring to me that in a few short weeks we are ending a decade! Ten years have passed since the last ending of a decade and I think somewhere along the way I became an adult, I'm not certain, but I think that's what happened.

Maybe it doesn't seem like a big deal because the last ending of a decade was also the ending of a century? So since I won't be alive for the next ending of a century I am going to make a big deal about the decade thing!

A new decade also marks a big birthday for me, since I was born in the first year of a decade I will always have that dreaded 30th, 40th, 50th and so on birthday the first year of the new decade. It was quite fun when I turned 10 because I was so stoked to be double digits! And then 20 was pretty cool because I knew only one more year until I could legally drink and I didn't have to fear my fake ID being taken away. But now as we approach 30 I'm not sure I am as excited. I am curious though, if 40 is the new 30 does that mean that 30 is the new 20? Can I act like an irresponsible idiot for another 10 years and people will forgive it because I am 30 something which is the new 20 something? Am I supposed to have a life plan or things figured out since I will be turning 30? How does this work, I'm not sure and I think I missed that day in "how to plan your life" class in High School.

I am married and have a child so I think that makes me forced to be somewhat responsible so okay, fine I will grow up but not without a little kicking and screaming along the way. As this decade ends and the new one begins I'll relish in the memories of being an idiot in my 20's and look forward to the higher paying jobs and plastic surgery that come with my 30's. Don't laugh, you thought about a boob job or a little Botox, I know you did!

I'll will look forward to maybe another child, seeing friends get married and have kids of their own. I'll continue to learn and grow as a person through the help of my trusty therapist-thanks Brian. And like I learned from a friend of mine who knows some stuff, I'll be sure to enjoy everyday like it's my last and do something everyday that scares me like looking at myself naked in the mirror! So here's to you New Decade and look out 30 cause here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment