Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkey, Stuffing, and Xanax Please!

What is it about the holidays that makes everyone go Co Co Cacho? Maybe it isn't everyone maybe it's just the people I know, or maybe it's me? Maybe I am the crazy one? No, that can't be it!

I understand the whole Thanksgiving feast as it is a part of our American heritage, but did the Pilgrams worry about Black Friday? Were the Indians obsessed with 50 different mashed potato recipes and what kind of stuffing to make and the age old question, to stuff the bird or not? My head spins just thinking about this.

This happens to be the first year that I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner. I live in L.A. and our family is in Chicago and Utah so luckily for us we don't usually have to deal with family drama and stuffing birds at Thanksgiving. We usually choose not to travel at Thanksgiving and just make a dinner for ourselves. We typically do a traditional dinner but it just seems so much more relaxed and casual when it is just the three of us. This year we have a new tradition, well we will see if it becomes a tradition or not.

It all started a year ago when my dad was very sick. He had a long battle with lung cancer and then developed pulmonary fibrosis which took his life. He was admitted to the hospital one year ago today and his battle ended on the 28th, the day after Thanksgiving. Giving the term Black Friday a whole new meaning to our family. From that day on nothing in our lives would ever be the same. Including our relationship with our mother.

This year my mom and my sister are coming out West for Thanksgiving in hopes of starting a new tradition. They have not even arrived yet and already the anxiety has crept up in me like a little worm eating its way through my skin. (I do have a supply of Xanax from my Dad, he knew he had to leave me something!) I should be able to survive on Xanax and decent amounts of alcohol, it's only 5 days right? I am going to put out a lovely feast and stuff my face with potatoes, down that with Blissini's and top it all off with molten lava cakes. I will make a delightful bird-stuffed as I like it- and not worry about what anyone else thinks! I am just going to think positive thoughts and take lots of deep breaths!

I have come to realize that the holidays are all about surviving your family and if you can do that and come out alive, you are just a better person in the end! I took that line from my therapist who yes, I will be seeing this Saturday!

Gobble Gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment